Microsoft’s new default font, automated translation features, XTM, Smartcat, and CrowdIn updates
LinguinewsRead full article
- Microsoft decided it is high time to change their default font. In ancient times, it was Times New Roman, since 2007—Calibri, now there are five new fonts at once, and Microsoft is pondering which to prefer.
- Google Lens will soon get a new useful feature, automated translation of the text on screen captures. Users will be able to translate it instantly or send it to the pre-installed Google Translate.
- Starting from Android 12, it will be possible to automatically localize applications for Android. This should come in handy for small companies and indie developers. Nothing is said about the quality of such translation.
* * *
And about cats.
- XTM has improved video operations: XTM Cloud 12.7 now features a preview of video subtitles. They can be translated in real-time; to do this, you need to provide the link to a video on Youtube or Vimeo and assign a subtitle file to it. The new version is much more user-friendly: you don’t have to switch between video and text all the time, there is no need for rewinding the video to find the right fragment, you can instantly see whether the text fits the allocated space, etc. Currently, it is a beta function; it will become standard in XTM Cloud 13.0.
Another piece of news: XTM Mobile 2.3 has been released.
- A post about translating subtitles on the Smartcat website. They speak of Smartcat in the second part of the article, and the first part is dedicated to several third-party applications. This is what it looks like.
Smartcat has also introduced a preview for Microsoft Word documents, here they show how it works.
- Multiple updates in CrowdIn. There are so many that they deserve a separate post. Here are some of them:
- CrowdIn + Intercom integration has been realized to facilitate help text localization.
- Issue Notification Manager now enables sending scheduled notifications.
- The auto-approve option for editors has been added.
- ModernMT support has been added.
- Java Play Properties and Java Properties XML files can now be edited.